Hinkletown's Sesquicentennial and Hickory Ridge Reunion
September 7, 2002 - Hinkletown Iowa
In the Fall of 1852, a settler from Indiana, William J. Watkins, moved to the site of Hinkletown and engaged in brick manufacturing. Although it is believed a village existed there at the time, it has not been verified. Therefore, we use 1852 as the founding year of Hinkletown. In 1859, Harmon Hinkle bought a farm near the site of the village. In March, 1861 he traded his farm for a sawmill in the business district. He soon built a general store and a large home adjacent to the mill. Hinkle developed broad business interests, such as banking, grain and feed mills, undertaking, furniture-making and general merchandising, hence the town would soon become known as "Hinkletown."
These alumni of the Hickory Ridge School at Hinkletown were amongst the approximately 115 attendees of the Hinkletown Celebration of its founding 150 years ago.
Bluegrass musicians Bob and Kristie Black played songs written
"The Ballad of Bertha Ballard"
"The Diamond Trail"
Blues musician Pat Hazell entertained the crowd with his lively one-man band format.
Attendees enjoyed homemade family style dinner and desserts at the food tent.
Attendees came from as far away as Texas and Illinois to attend the event. Many brought their old family photographs and genealogical histories to share with the others. A display tent featured Hinkletown photographs and memorabilia.
Tables and chairs provided by the North English Fire Department.
View More Photos of the Event
Return to Hinkletown "Central"